St Andrew's in the Paddock, Fernridge
St Andrew's in the Paddock - 100 years old - 22 november 2022
Early history
Details of Anglican services in the Upper Plain area prior to the building of St Andrew's (originally the Upper Plain Church Room) are sketchy.
Sunday School
An inter-denominational Sunday School had been built at some time prior to 1900. This is likely to have been on a quarter-acre triangle of land set aside opposite Fernridge School donated by Mr William Anketell 'for use by the Church of England, Wesleyan Church, Presbyterian Church, and Methodist Church, for divine worship, religious purposes and entertainments1. This little block of land was visible in 2012 when this history was first prepared, but seems to have since been incorporated into a larger paddock. It was still owned by the Presbyterian Church in 2012.
On 28 November, 1901, the Manawatu Times reported that a spark from a passing traction engine set fire to the Sunday School.
The Upper Plain Sunday School was yesterday totally destroyed by fire, a spark having alighted on it from a passing engine. The harmonium and books were saved. The building, which was an old one, was not insured.
The site donated by Mr Anketell was unsatisfactory for church building purposes, being wedge-shaped, with a wide frontage at the roadside, tapering rapidly, which would have made building a church of the gothic style favoured at the time a difficult exercise.
Services fluctuated at Fernridge
Church records suggest that Anglican services came and went at Upper Plain, their success being dependent on a local "enthusiast" to encourage residents to come to church. The 1903 parish annual general meeting noted with satisfaction that
the Upper Plain Sunday School has done very good work during the year under Mr and Miss Brown's supervision for a time, and then almost solely for a long time it has been carried on by Miss Fuller, who has, as her assistants, the Misses Gawith and Iggulden.
and Sunday School teachers proudly reported that
satisfactory work has been accomplished. Thirty-eight scholars are on the roll, the average attendance totals twenty-one, and there are four teachers.
There was no mention of any activity at Upper Plain - either services or Sunday School - at the 1906 annual general meeting, but things had improved by 1907, when the Vicar reported:
At this meeting last year I expressed regret that the Sunday School at the Upper Plain was in abeyance. Thanks to Miss Iggulden, Miss Gawith, and Miss Arlidge, it was resuscitated soon afterwards and is now a strong outpost of the Church's work. The interest that the children show and their behaviour must be a great encouragement to their teachers
We held a pleasant picnic for this Sunday School last March, and prizes were distributed. This little school is, I am glad to say, self-supporting.
Margaret Andrew gets services going
In July 1922 local parishioners, under the leadership of Mrs Margaret Andrew, identified a need for services at Fernridge. St Matthew's Vestry Secretary, Mr T T Denbee, wrote to Fernridge School seeking permission from the Fernridge School Committee to hold the services in the schoolroom.
The first service was held in August 1922, despite 'rain and general atmospheric unpleasantness,' and was 'nearly full of young and old.'
Some of the adults found the small school desks a little uncomfortable, but with an air of stoicism, 'we settled down somehow, and looked quite as dignified as a Scotchman on a bannock.'
Services got off to a fine start at Fernridge School with two services a month - on the second and fourth Sundays - alternating with Sunday School on the other Sundays. In line with other country churches, and to fit round the exhausting schedule of St Matthew's clergy, services started at 2.30 pm in the afternoon.
The Parish Magazine reported that
The following have given their names as helpers in the Sunday School: Mrs Trimble, Miss Hubbard, Mrs A H Graham and Miss Graham. Mrs Andrew has consented to act as Organist for the services.
At the time of opening the new church room, there were 23 children in the Sunday School.
Church built in three months
Progress towards a new church building proceeded at lightning speed. A month after services started at Fernridge, Mrs Margaret Andrew, with her husband William, donated the land (part of their property Wharemouku) for a church building and 'an anonymous parishioner' gave £125 towards the building.
By September, with no Resource Management Act or Diocesan Architect or property manager to worry about, building got under way. A fundraising garden party was held in Mrs Gawith's garden on 21 October 1922.
We trust that friends will arrive in good numbers and thereby encourage those who are preparing the effort and arranging stalls. The little Church Room to be erected will simply repay the effort.
The Church Room was opened and blessed on 22 November 1922 by Bishop Thomas Sprott, Bishop of Wellington.
Land changes hands
Viewing the historic title for the land on which the church stands indicates that the Andrew family still owned the land on which the church room was built at the time it was opened by Bishop Sprott on 22 November 1922.
It wasn't until 12 February 1923 that the land was conveyed to William Bullock, Clerk in Holy Orders and Vicar of Masterton and David Robert Carrick as trustees on behalf of Masterton Parish. And it was finally conveyed to the Diocesan Board of Trustees on 9 May 1923.
Upper Plain Church Room, 1956 - 04-42/22-52. This seems to be the oldest available photo of the church.
Building the church room was undertaken by Hulme and Penistone, prominent Masterton builders. Mr William Penistone and his family lived in Edith Street and he was a hard-working and capable member of St Matthew's Vestry for many years. He was the man on the spot whenever the 1913 St Matthew's roof leaked or other issue needed repair or investigation.
William Penistone took a year's leave from the Vestry in 1921 so his firm could put in a tender for the new Parish Hall in Church Street, which opened in 1922. Unfortunately his tender was the most expensive and, despite the endless work he put in on behalf of the parish, the tender went to another firm.
The Church Room was opened and blessed on 22 November 1922 by Bishop Thomas Sprott, Bishop of Wellington.